The CAD is the little white box that connects to your smart meter to read data in real-time via your home WiFi network so you can see when you are using data and share it with your Club. Your CAD will need to be permanently plugged into an electricity socket. The CAD uses low power, and short-range radio to communicate with both the smart meter network and your WiFi network. This page shows you how to set it up.
The CAD should be installed in a permanent location where it is also in radio range of both your smart meter and your WiFi router. It does not need to be next to either the smart meter or the router. The maximum radio range is mainly influenced by the amount of brick/stone/concrete along the line of sight between the CAD and the smart meter and between the CAD and the WiFi router. Maximum ranges of 10m to 30m are typical.
Setup - WiFi
You will need to your WiFi network name (SSID) and password details so that it can connect to
your WiFi network. These are typically printed on your WiFi router or may be found on a Keep Me card provided by your WiFi supplier.
On installation, the CAD will create its own WiFi Network, called ‘meterreader’. Use a smartphone, tablet, or laptop to search for this WiFi network and connect to it.
- The ‘meterreader’ network will not require a password. If the ‘meterreader’ network requests a password, please contact Octopus to get further support.
- When connected to the ‘meterreader’ WiFi network, go to the page http://169.254.1.1/wifisetup - You’ll need to type this into a web browser on your phone, tablet, or laptop.
- This page will load ‘WiFi Settings’. Please select your Wifi Name (SSID) from the drop down list, enter its password and select ‘Submit’.
- Close the web browser page and disconnect from the ‘meterreader’ WiFi network.
- Within a few minutes, the CAD will connect to your WiFi network. This will be indicated by a long flash of the indicator LED.
- If unsuccessful, please repeat the above steps.
Setup – Smart Meter - This could take a couple of weeks to complete.
Once you’ve successfully connected the CAD to your WiFi, Octopus will receive confirmation that this has been successful. Then Octopus will be able to connect your CAD to your smart meter. Please do not remove the sticker from your CAD, as if there are any issues with connecting the device to your smart meter, Octopus may need to ask for the codes on this sticker.
Once installed and powered up, a pair of LEDs will flash repeatedly on the front of the CAD. The first flash in a pair indicates the CAD to WiFi router connection status and the second flash indicates the CAD to smart meter connection status.
The 1st flash, WiFi connection status, indicates:
Short flash (<0.25s): WiFi – not connected
Medium flash (1s): connected to WiFi but not to energy server
Long flash (2s): fully connected
The 2nd flash, smart meter connection status, indicates:
Short flash (<0.25s): not connected to the smart meter network
Medium flash (1s): connected to smart meter network but not yet found the electricity meter
Long flash (2s): connected to electricity smart meter
Please contact Alanah at Octopus Energy if you require any support or have any issues during the CAD setup process.
text HELP to 07927288762
For support in Welsh, Text HELP CYMRAEG to 07927288762